7 Reasons To Get Up And Move #AMCoffee

7 Reasons to Get Up & Move
Good Morning!
We’ll be LIVE 10:30 AM EST

Salute AM Coffee To Partake In Conversations & Prizes

Grab a cup ‘o Joe and share what’s on your mind for an hour.

Woman On Beach

REFRESH Your Screen Frequently To See and Follow Conversations!

Today’s reminder is about taking frequent breaks from your desk and computer. No matter whether you’re at work or at home, the benefits of quick mini breaks could be astounding!

Breaks allow your physical body to recharge and your creative juices to flow freely. The benefits of taking care of your body can and will produce the success we seek during those long hours at the computer screen sitting almost motionless at the desk.

Keep Moving!

How To Do These AM Coffee Conversations?

• Sign In Below in the Hello Section
• Start participation by commenting under the threads and comments you are interested in
• Hit REPLY button under the posted message/comment if you want to place your commentary under someone else’s
• We will be drawing winners out of each highlighted comment thread: A big image represents a stand-alone Comment Thread

Comments

1. CoffeeTime says

Winners for Today’s #AMCoffee Are:

Click on the Product link above your name to choose the Size and Style!

Men’s DelSol Graphic Tees
    – Jessica Parent
    – Sandra Hingst
    – Karen Hinkle

Women’s DelSol Tees
    – Thia Beniash

• Come back at the end of the coffee hour 11:30am ET and see if you won.
    If you’re a Winner, PLEASE FILL OUT THE WINNER’S FORM

amcoffee prize winners

2. CoffeeTime says

AM COFFEE – Sign In!

• Comment and Say ‘Hello’ to all who will be here with you
    AND
    • Share your Top Reasons How you’d benefit if you Took Active breaks from your computer

• Rebecca Swenor says

Good Morning all. I would benefit, taking frequent breaks away from computer screen during the day, with having less headaches and eye strain. 🙂

• thia beniash says

Good morning ladies! Hoping you are having a terrific Tuesday! its quite rainy here but at least its warm. I will be hopping in and out as I work. I love my job! Frequent breaks are good but sometimes quite difficult to do when you have deadlines. Side note, loving the conversations here. I have added more fiber to my diet and found that it fills me up and has kept me from snacking (badly) through out the day. Thanks for the info!

• CoffeeTime says

Hi Thia!
        Have a great day and Yes to Fiber!
        What do you have for fiber-rich foods these days?

• thia beniash says

I am reading the labels to see what states they are high in fiber. I have added it with granola bars. who would have thought one granola bar could actually fill me up?

• Angela Vaught Montgomery says

Good morning!!

• Wendi Watson says

GOOD Morning to all, there are going to be some big changes in my life over the next few weeks and I’m glad i have some where to go escape all the pain! Thank you #AMCoffee

• Jessica Parent says

Top of the morning to you all!! I have more energy when I’m not on the computer and I benefit from the hugs,kisses and cuddles I get from my kids (and 6 pets) when I pry myself off the box

• lauramroque says

Hi everyone. I don’t use a computer to much but I do use mobile devices. I think cutting back would give me free time. I think oh I have a two year old so I don’t have free time but I use whatever I have on house work and internet

• Sandra Hingst says

Good Morning. It looks like it is going to be a beautiful, sunny day (also still cold) here today. I am longing for warm weather so I can get out my deck cushions and plant flowers in my pots and get my fountain working. But mother nature still likes the cold. Tomorrow is supposed to get to 80 and on Saturday night we are forecasted for snow! I wish mother nature wasn’t so bipolar!

• Amanda Alvarado says

Good morning! I’m liking this forced time off! 😉

• Karen Hinkle says

good morning lovely ladies I have a tred mill in my room so when I need a break I get on it for a while to get my bodie moving but my grandson keeps me busy all day and he keeps his grandma moving

• Hey Everyone…

I would probably have less headaches if I actually took breaks… but at the same time.. I find solace in my blog…

• Brianna Ketchum says

Goood morning

• Cynthia Dubuque says

Good morning! Taking active breaks from my computer help me to stretch and avoid unnecessary body aches.

• wendy c g says

Good morning, I would benefit by giving my eyes a rest. Also it would help me spend more time with family.

• melissa renee augustus says

good moring

• Morning all, I know there is something I have to do this morning but I have no clue what it is. So I will sit here and chat with you all instead!
      Maybe I will remember…

3. CoffeeTime says

amcoffee

Reason #1 Why You Need To Take Active Breaks from Computer Time
    To Avoid Atrophy in Mid Section of Your Body & Gain Total Value of Physical Activity You’ve Invested Time Into.

– Research shows that sitting in one place overrides almost all benefits gained during the physical activity.
    If you, for example, exercised today and would sit at the desk for the majority of the day, without any active breaks – the gained benefits fro physical activity would go exponentially down.

What To Do?

– Take hourly breaks, do some quick pushups, jumps, walk around the block – something that would raise your Heart Beat!

What Are You Currently Doing To “Lift Yourself Away” from Your Computer Work Area?

• thia beniash says

Lift myself away? My husband makes me walk away for a little while. I could spend hours on the computer. I use it for graphic designing, creating business paperwork for myself and another business owner, work with my photography in lightroom and ps, and of course,,,my brain break leads me to fun giveaways! I do run around the house like a mad woman when I am not on the computer though. Always on the go!

• Rebecca Swenor says

I do know with having fibromyalgia, I can not stay in one position very long or I get super sore. Exercise is key especially when I have a flare-up or when I know I am getting one. Walking is and has been a life saver for me. Even when I have to crawl out of bed I have to try so hard to convince myself to go for even a short walk. It is almost like you are fighting with your body so days.

• Wendi Watson says

i take walks or i use the treadmill i work in the yard

• Sandra Hingst says

I set a timer for 60 minutes to remind me to take a break, otherwise I would keep going…and going…and going.

• lauramroque says

Currently very pregnant so I can’t stay I’m one spot very long even if I wanted to. Its to uncomfortable

• Jessica Parent says

I am currently on bedrest and have been for over 2 mos, so docs are not allowing me to be active at all but I take breaks all day/night and go lay on the couch laying on the right or left side (switching positions often is imperative-my pc time I’m on my back which just entering my 9th month is VERY uncomfy) .When I’m not in this predicament I set myself aside time limits on the box and only allow myself on then .(Usually 2 half hour slots in the morning and 2- 1 hr slots throughout the evening) I do not carry a cell phone or ipad either because I would be on more than 3 hrs a day -which I sometimes feel is too much. (and other times is not nearly enough!)

• Rebecca Swenor says

Love your discipline for yourself. That is great. 🙂

• Jessica Parent says

Believe me Rebecca it is HARD! Lol -gonna be even harder since the past 2 mos….I’ve slacked on disciplining my pc time (since its all Ive been able to do besides read,write and watch tv-Ive developed a smut tv addiction too I need to break once the baby gets here-lol)

• Amanda Alvarado says

I am usually only on the computer at home, so I have dd asking for something or other things to do so I take frequent breaks.

• Karen Hinkle says

I to am just at home on the computer but I am on quite a bit during the day but I have to take breaks or I will get a headack so I clean in between and use my gazelle and go out side do yard work or play with my grandson and I do housecleaning part time so I keep my self moving all day

• Brianna Ketchum says

I walk 30 minutes a day read books clean our yard up vaccum do laundry dishes I do a lot of house chores for my mom

• I have 2 small children 6 mos and 19 mos they don’t let me sit for long periods at a time on the computer like i used to.. I am up carrying, consoling, bathing, feeding, or just playing with one or the other constantly thru out the day…

• Cynthia Dubuque says

I have 2 kids that need constant supervision and love being outside.. They keep me away from the computer a lot 🙂

• wendy c g says

Spending time with my kids, going for walks.

• melissa renee augustus says

nice to know i learn something new everyday

• I do not sit in from of the computer all day. So I am out on this one. However, I do teach a class and one of the things we talk about is what to do at your desk when you are stuck there most of the day.
      I have had my participants tell me that they do chair yoga, they will do arm exercises while at their desk.
      I have also had one person tell me that they brought in a exercise ball and that is what they sit on instead as it works great for posture and the core.

4. CoffeeTime says

ReTweet, RePin, Shout-Out!

RETWEET #1
    RETWEET #2
    RePin #1
    RePin #2
    RePin #3

5. CoffeeTime says

amcoffee

Reason #2 Why You Need To Take Active Breaks from Computer Time or Sitting at the Desk
    for prolonged periods during the day
    –> To Allow a Better Oxygenation of your Entire Body

While we’re sitting at the desks our posture may not be perfect 100% of the time. For those who do not take any mini breaks, posture suffers a lot. In addition, the air flow can dramatically decrease as the posture becomes sluggish and breathing at the desk become intermittent and unfocused.

What To Do?

Do get away from the desk and sitting position. Do quick Breath-In and Breath-Out’s for several times. If you can do it outside – get out and do it.

Oxygen flow would improve dramatically, meaning more food for your brain, more energy, better mood when you return to your work environment!

Did You Know That Breathing Exercises Contribute to Weight Loss?

• thia beniash says

oh, I can say without a doubt I have terrible posture at the computer…slouchy me! or I am kicked back, feet up, laptop on lap, and still a bit slouchy. I do take a mini break to stretch sometimes because I feel like if I didn’t I meet be stuck that way. lol.

• Thia,
        Great way to work on posture when on the computer is using a exercise ball to sit on. It works your core and keeps your back straight.

• Wendi Watson says

i do breathing exercises due to my anxiety!

• Sandra Hingst says

Besides taking 10 deep breaths every hour (when my timer goes off), what other breathing exercises do you recommend?

• CoffeeTime says

Sandra,
        One of the most important components of each Breathing Exercise is HOW your breath: shallow or deep?
        You need to involve your Abdomen muscles to get a full benefit of breathing routine.
        Check out this post for some of the breathing exercises that can easily become your routine.
        Work on mastering one at a time. Enjoy doing it first, then move on to the next one. It may take several tries and a few days, but the results are truly profound.

Breathing With Air Exercise Routine for Every Woman

• lauramroque says

I should do more breathing exercises. I only do when I’m feeling overwhelmed

• Jessica Parent says

My posture is terrible when sitting at my computer but I do set timers and spend a lot of time outside during the “warmer months”. I go outside for some fresh air though even in the winter (just only for a few minutes at a time and I don’t leave my back door. I’ll have to try these breathing excercises (and work on that posture!)

• Amanda Alvarado says

I did not know this! I know my posture is horrible when I am sitting! I try to remember to sit up straight but it doesn’t always happen!

• Karen Hinkle says

omg that’s so cool I didn’t know that about the breathing excercises that’s great I just tried it I like it I have ok posture because I don’t sit to long

• Brianna Ketchum says

I didn’t know that but I will do it more often

• Rebecca Swenor says

That does make a lot of sense because sitting at computer to long my I end up sometimes getting confused at thing I shouldn’t etc. I don’t know that the breathing help with weight loss either. ty 🙂

• I did not know that… I will do it more often especially since my 19 mos old loves to go outside..

• Cynthia Dubuque says

I had no idea that breathing exercises contribute to weight loss.

• wendy c g says

Yes, I have seen videos on breathing exercises to help with weight loss.

• melissa renee augustus says

good to know

• I think this is one of the reasons I love Pilates so much. Proper breathing is key to Pilates.

6. CoffeeTime says

amcoffee

Please go to this page with DelSol colorful Nail Polish and tell them 1 Thing they could add, develop, improve to have more fun with their product!

Be creative this morning!

I know what I would ask of them –> Add more delicate nail art to your collection!

7. CoffeeTime says

amcoffee
    Reason #3 Why You Need To Take Active Breaks from Computer Time or Sitting at the Desk
    for prolonged periods of time
    –> Avoid Mindless Eating

As many people refuse to take mini breaks from their desk and computer time, they bring food to their work environment. That creates “mindless eating” and forms habits of not noticing and enjoy food, thus, allowing body to consume more food than you normally need.

This is one of the reasons why “desk” people gain weight so easily and quickly. They train their bodies to respond to bad habits they formed.

What To Do?

Allow yourself to have a delicious meal away from your desk/computer/work environment. Celebrate the tastes of your lunches and snacks. Your body would thank you. Your brain would thank you. As you are taking Mindful time to feed your body and mind, you allow your mind to process information with more details and from a different perspective.

When you’re back at the desk – the whole world and picture would seem to take a different turn… for better!

Where Are You Taking Your Lunch and Snack Breaks?

• thia beniash says

I am so guilty of just skipping meals. I wont eat or drink near my computer for fear of ruining the keyboard..or worse frying the motherboard. My hubby makes me a half sandwich and bugs me till I go eat it. heehee. then right back to the keyboard. when my creative mind is at work there is not stopping me.

• Sandra Hingst says

I leave the house to eat…get some fresh air and run a few errands at the same time.

• lauramroque says

GUILTY most of my bored eating is done while using devices and when I do that I loose track of the amount I’m eating

• Amanda Alvarado says

During my lunch break, I actually leave and go to dh’s office to eat! I rarely ever eat at the computer at home either.

• Jessica Parent says

I am guilty of eating lunch at my desk but made a No snacking while watching tv/playing computer years ago to avoid over snacking (I saw results so it was easier to keep that rule for myself) If I’m on any kind of “box” I easily lose control of what Im munching on and how much

• Karen Hinkle says

I do the same I snack to at the computer makes for a messy keyboard so I will have to stop this it is a bad habit that needs to be resolved so I will make this a priority to not do it

• Brianna Ketchum says

I usually sit home at the table and eat my lunch and snack breaks

• Cynthia Dubuque says

We have a rule that all meals are to be eaten in the kitchen at the table or highchair.. I have to lead by example, so I always eat at the kitchen table.

• Rebecca Swenor says

I do the mindless eating if I sit at computer for a long period of time and can’t think. Thinking I need to eat something and than it will get better. I will eat at couch and watch a lil tv while eating or usually just snacking. It probably gets better because I got up and away from screen. (WOW DA) By the way I just thought about that. Ty because I will pay attention now.

• See I have the oppisite issue.. yes I bring food to my computer but then I get so engrossed in what I am doing that I forget to eat and the food gets cold.. I reheat it and I forget it in the microwave.. I usually takes about 4 or 5 times doing this before I actually finish a meal.. the only complete meal I eat is dinner because I am way from the computer…

• wendy c g says

I eat at my kitchen table or outside.

• melissa renee augustus says

nice to know

• Since I do not work from a desk in a office I do not have that habit. However, I do have the habit of not eating lunch and just snacking. But then again, this is what I have always done. Not the greatest but for me it works. I also tell myself when I do that sometimes I do not need that cookie and drink some water instead.

8. CoffeeTime says

amcoffee
    Reason #4 Why You Need To Take Active Breaks from Computer Time or Sitting at the Desk
    for prolonged periods of time
    –> Avoid Eye Strain

Yes, we do have a so called Computer Vision Syndrome (CVS), and it’s not a Store!
    This syndrome is a complex ensemble of symptoms and their manifestation: from fatigued eyes to pain.

When you’re carrying the same motion time and time again, like watching computer screen, computer syndrome can get worse the longer you continue the activity.

Working at a computer requires that the eyes continuously focus, move back and forth, and align with what you are seeing. You may have to look down at papers and then back up to type, and the eyes have to accommodate to changing images on the screen in order to create a clear picture for the brain to interpret.

Can you imagine how much work is put by eye muscles into these activities and movements to allow us to see clearly and allow brain to get correct interpretation of what’s going on?

What To Do?

– Allow your computer screen be a bit below your eye level
    That would allow eyes to look at the screen with less stress
    – Change computer factory settings
    If you don’t like layouts, colors or anything that can be customized by you and allow you to work more comfortably – take time to adjust and change those settings!
    – Give your eyes a break
    At least several times during 1 Hour: blink, look with your eyes left/right/up/down. That would bring more moisture to them and allow some release of muscle tension. Walk away from your desk for at least 15 minutes every 2 hours.
    – Reduce the Glare
    Do accommodate the lighting in your room and where your computer situated. Cut the glare from the sun, room light by adjusting where your computer is located.

• thia beniash says

One of the ways I help my eyes out is turning down the contrast/brightness to better match the ambiance of the room.

• Sandra Hingst says

I do feel I have a problem with eye strain. There is a large picture window 90 degrees to my computer screen and natural daylight fills the room.

• Rebecca Swenor says

I love having my shades open every day but on them really bright days I have to shut the shades because I get direct sunlight and it triggers migraines. I do try to turn shades so I get some light though but not directly coming in the windows.

• lauramroque says

Need to try some tips aFter a while I definetly feel eye strain

• Amanda Alvarado says

I am guilty of having my monitor too high but the way my desk is made, there’s no other way for it to be! I do take frequent breaks and blink a lot though!

• Jessica Parent says

My eyes get extremely dry if I sit at the computer too long and several yrs ago I had an incident where I got Very dizzy and felt like passing out after a 3-4 hr marathon without a break…so I learned not to do that again 😉 I find if I really want to take control to put contacts in-I can only handle 20 mins or so at a time on the pc when Im in them vs glasses.MY computer self control is prob. where Im weakest so I have to use tricks to make myself behave sometimes (especially for the past 7 mos since all my kids go to school now) Before that being on during the day wasn’t really an issue for me-I had so much to do! I’ll have another little one here to keep me busy any time now

• Brianna Ketchum says

I already have ny computer settings and I already grt away from the computer when I’m busy online doing long sessions I usually have my screen lowered too

• I have to wear glasses lol and my vision is getting worse.. I didn’t know its the computers fault…

• Cynthia Dubuque says

I generally have my screen brightness turned down and my computer is lower than my eyes. I also take frequent breaks.

• Rebecca Swenor says

My son had advised me to turn the brightness down on the computer and that has help a lot. I am guilty of having tv on while being on computer. So a frequently look at screen and than tv. I think that might have something to do with ADD too. Anyway, I also have my monitor / computer in a cabinet / desk to cut back on glare from any light.

• wendy c g says

I’ve turned down my brightness.

• melissa renee augustus says

wow

• I have adjusted the brightness on my computer. It really does help a lot.

9. CoffeeTime says

amcoffee
    Reason #5 Why You Need To Take Active Breaks from Computer Time or Sitting at the Desk
    for prolonged periods of time
    –> Carpal Tunnel Syndrome

Repetitive work at the computer keyboard could cause Carpal Tunnel Syndrome with tingling and numbness and even pain. If not addressed and taken care of, this condition can worsen.

What To Do?

– Take frequent mini breaks and move your wrists in circular motion and stretch them.
    – Use correct posture

Though there are more what-to-do recommendations like diet (less salt, more exercise) and stopping the activities completely that cause pain and Carpal Tunnel condition, just taking mini breaks and doing certain stretching exercises for your wrists could dramatically improve your condition.

• thia beniash says

I have carpel tunnel from 20plus years of photography and five years of cake decorating. I don’t find any pain with the computer though. I have a table that allow my whole arm to rest on. I actually find that I get a little elbow bone pain from laying my arm across the desk typing. kinda weird. btw, its not the elbow itself, its an itty bitty bone near it. am I crazy or has anyone else ever had that issue… please someone say they do so I am not all alone. just kiddin.

• Wendi Watson says

i have it from working in the restaurant business my whole life….its a pain and i need to address it ia free

• Sandra Hingst says

I don’t have carpel tunnel syndrome from the computer…I had it when I was working. I have wrist braces that help but I haven’t had to use them in years.

• lauramroque says

I’ve known people who had carpal tunnel and they say their wrist feel better after surgery but never 100% again.

• Amanda Alvarado says

I will occasionally have pain in my wrist after using the mouse for a long period of time but that happens rarely since I am always up and down when I am on the computer! I do frequently stretch my wrists and hands but that’s more work related than because of computer use!

• Brianna Ketchum says

Oh boy I guess ill have tl try that out

• Karen Hinkle says

I know some time my hand gose numb sometime when I use the mouse but when that happens I get off the computer I like that you are giving us this great information it sure helps and I love the AMCoffee chats

• My mom had carpel tunnel syndrome from cashiering her whole life.. I still have not devolped it though

• Cynthia Dubuque says

I already have carpal tunnel and I can tell if I’ve been on the computer too long. It also helps me take frequent, prolonged breaks.

• Rebecca Swenor says

I have had that surgery on both my wrist but it isn’t from working at a computer. It is important to have the right mouse pad and / or the right fitting mouse to prevent carpal tunnel. The wrist bands are great for prevention also. The exercises will also prevent it.

• wendy c g says

When I use to work in a cash office counting money and using computer a lot I has problems with carpal tunnel. It can be very painful. I don’t have problems anymore since I no longer work.

• It’s funny (well not really), that about 20 years ago carpel tunnel from working on a computer all day was unheard of. Now it is relevant. Funny how times change!

• Jessica Parent says

I do not have carpal tunnel but have definitely had my wrists and forearm go numb/tingle or ache before during a marathon pc session. Its a good reminder to take a break-I sometimes forget the damage could be irreversible

10. CoffeeTime says

amcoffee
    Reason #6 Why You Need To Take Active Breaks from Computer Time or Sitting at the Desk
    for prolonged periods of time
    –> Build Social Connections

Walking way from your desk and computer for a few minutes could actually build your social skills and improve your social connections with other people. It is especially true to the office environment.

When you visit another person for a minute or two and inquire about something really sincerely, you will be noticed and placed on the radar of that individual.

Stand up and walk and set an example for taking necessary breaks at your office.

If you are in home environment, give some time to other family members and even play a few moments with your pets who need your love and attention.

• thia beniash says

wish I could improve social connections…but I only work with a few people and boy are we all connected. lol. I have a big social life and a big computer life. computer in the morning and night, mainly when I have quiet time and then is social all day long. for the most part I like my social connections, I choose not to create a large circle of friends because I believe its the quality and not the quantity of friends that count! Well, off to socialize for a bit, must go clean house for a lovely older couple. Back after the drive.

• Sandra Hingst says

Unfortunately, a lot of my ‘social’ connection is on the computer. If it weren’t for facebook, skype, etc, I would be a hermit.

• Karen Hinkle says

@Sandra I hear ya I am the same with a special needs child I have no social life you all are my social flife but I hare what she is saying I have my pets and grandson so I am pretty busy they need my attention to and I have a family they get thiere time as well lol

• lauramroque says

Even though it’s nice to connect through social media nothing beats good old fashion human interact

• Jessica Parent says

I completely agree- Unfortunately most of my human interactions are interrupted by their technology (phone calls,texts,online whatever from their phones/ipads) and that ends up hurting my feelings (specially when its family or a good friend I haven’t seen/talked to in ages and every 5 mins they are on their phone or worse the entire visit which are usually under an hour anyway) When I’m dealing face to face with a person I’m 100% with that person unless some sort of emergency arises -but I do not get that same respect back it seems.At least when I’m interacting online-we are both on the same page (literally 😀 )

• Laura and Jessica,
          I is so very sad when people opt to talk on their phones or check email or what have you when you are trying to have a conversation. Technology has overtaken out lives in a positive but also a very negative way.
          Just like the picture I saw the other day. Back 20 years ago, finding email on your computer was like WOW and getting postal mail was like Oh. Now it is reversed and that is so incredibly sad.

• Jessica Parent says

It really is-my family and friends think Im crazy for not having a cell phone or other hand held device but I really enjoy it that way.When Im with my family,friends or want alone time that’s what I want.Leave a message on my home phone and I will call you back when Im done with what Im doing-drives everyone crazy they cant get me the second they want to. My children are not allowed to have these devices either (besides their dsi’s) until they can pay for them and the bill themselves…they know I feel strongly on this as they regularly point out I am typically the only mom at the park , library even the doctors office that does not have my face in a phone (which just strengthens my resolve)….only half of them agree with me though because its become such a big thing in our society. Technology is a double edge sword takes us 2 steps forward in a million ways and 4 steps back in so many others

• Jessica Parent says

Elicia-Also I miss getting postal mail that is not a bill or junk so I make sure to occasionally send a thinking of you card or note to my loved ones (makes me feel good to receive them once or twice a year-so I assume it still does others as well) Always a pleasant surprise

• Jessica,
            You are not alone on that one. One thing I love about my son is that he is not into playing games on the tablet or computer. A lot of his friends have been doing it for a while now (he is three) yet, I use it as a “treat”. One of his little friends is addicted to the computer and his mother is having the hardest time with him.

• Amanda Alvarado says

There are some days I WANT to be anti-social! LOL The computer is my way of unwinding after a day at work and dd knows to just give me about 30 minutes and I’m good to go with whatever she needs (although we do homework before I get on the computer if she hasn’t already finished it).

• Jessica Parent says

But the computer IS my social connection- LOL . (Only half joking here) I do take time out regularly to spend with my pets (who also join me on my lap while Im on the computer) and my kids (when I can pry them off to hang with me 😉 ) I’ve been a “housewife” for over 10 yrs and the computer and grocery store are sometimes (most times) the only adult social interactions I get
      \

• thia Beniash says

Oh Jessica I hear ya! Computer time to chat with friends is great, on the phone we can hear the racket of the household. Sometimes it takes all day to finish a conversation.lol.

• Jessica Parent says

People don’t wanna talk to me on the phone-LOL My kids always screaming/fighting/whining in the backround

• Brianna Ketchum says

I always play with my pets everytime I’m home and of course in my bed too well one pup and I go out ever hour and give attention to my 5 beautiful chickens

• Cynthia Dubuque says

I can’t really leave the house much, but I do spend lots of time with my kids without the computer.

• my babies benefit from my breaks especially since they both love to play a lot loo

• Rebecca Swenor says

That is so true. My dogs especially my lil wiener/ pit (Oscar) will jump in my lap if I have been long computer to long. My other two will sit next to me and just stare at me which I know if they were lil they would do the same thing Oscar does. 😛

• wendy c g says

A lot of people spend so much time on social media they neglect family, and friends. I’ve been cutting back on computer time so I can be with family more.

• Going to make this general as a lot of people are mentioning that their social is on the computer. I think it is pretty sad that we use the internet for socializing. Pick up a phone and call. There is nothing better than actually hearing a voice. Human interaction is always best.
      If you can stop over and actually see someone.
      All this is coming from someone who has little human interaction (well, adult). I used to be extremely social before I had my son. Once I had him it became harder to get out or have that nice phone call. I actually look forward to human adult conversation whether it be physical or vocally. Nothing beats it.
      (yes, I know there is exceptions to my statement)

• Karen Hinkle says

yes true Elicia but some times you cant always get someone on the phone to talk to but it is always better to here a voice LOL

11. CoffeeTime says

amcoffee
    Reason #7 Why You Need To Take Active Breaks from Computer Time or Sitting at the Desk
    for prolonged periods of time
    –> Increase Your Creativity

Being “at it” for hours can truly diminish your creative juices. Your brain becomes tired and focused on the same solutions, rather than opening up new ways of thinking and looking at things.

It happens due to strain and focus on the same subjects, i.e., repetitiveness, added to the lack of good oxygenation of the blood.

What To Do?

Same thing here –> get up and move, do some jacks and 5-minute walks around the block, drink water. While you’re at it, your brain has time off and when you get back at the project waiting at your desk – voila, new solutions shall be presented to you by your own…brain!

So, do get up and move in mini breaks during the day. When you make it a habit, it will be your second nature to do so!

• Sandra Hingst says

I try, but that is why I use a timer…to remind me of the time (and that an hour has already slipped away)

• lauramroque says

Oh oh don’t want to loose creativity.

• Amanda Alvarado says

I am not creative even with the computer! LOL My mind is always going though even when I am in front of the computer. I’m thinking about what I need to do, where I need to go, what we are having for dinner, how much time it will take me to cook it, etc etc. It never shuts off! 😉

• Jessica Parent says

My brain is mushy on and off the box-always going a mile a minute….trying to fit everything in. I wish I was born more creative-I do use my computer to find creative things to make/do with my kids though….now if only I had the energy to do half of them (I’d love to be the “one” that comes up with some of the stuff I stumble across online-but everytime I think of something cool -I find its “already been done” Lol)

• Brianna Ketchum says

Creativity is one thing I like even in high school I had a class called creative writing I didnt really do so hot even the teacher knew I wasn’t so good

• Cynthia Dubuque says

I’ve noticed that if I’m working on something, I’ll get to a certain point where I’ll have “brain freeze” or “writer’s block.” When I walk away, it helps my mind reset and in a little while, I can go back at it with a fresh brain.

• yes when I am at the computer too long it feels like my brain takes longer to respond and I get a kind of mental block.. so with my babies i love to play with them and it makes it easier for me to be refreshed when I go back to work

• wendy c g says

I set time limits on computer time.

• Rebecca Swenor says

So true I often get what I call “Brain Farts” and can’t think straight if on to long. Even if I am moving all over in my chair changing positions I still tend not to look away from the computer screen.

12. LaKishia Wagers says

Good Morning Everyone 🙂 Hope all has a wonderful day 🙂

13. Good Morning Ladies.

14. Karen Hinkle says

well all great stuff today but as a stay at home mom I am the one who takes care of every one I do the shopping cleaning ect so its not a all day thing on the computer its like my break time that I go on

15. LaKishia Wagers says

I am always getting up walking around , i have a way to hyper 4 yr old that keeps me up from 5-6 am to 10 – 11 at night ..always chasing around .