Weird Facts That Save Our Lives #AMCoffee

May 12 – Weird Facts That Save Our Lives
We’ll be LIVE 10:30 AM EST

Be Daily Part of #AMCoffee Conversations & Prizes

Sponsored by Entenmann’s

National Donut Day Entenmanns

Grab a cup ‘o Joe and share what’s on your mind for an hour on this Monday, May 12.

Mother’s Day went well for you? I took my weekend off to be with my precious and loving people on the whole earth. Time spent cooking, doing some shopping for the house, having a lot of splashes in the pool, visiting our friends and sharing recipes of Jumbolaya and exchanging flowers.

Life filled with details that are meaningful and constitute LIFE, no less.

One lesson that these type of times teach us is this: Living in the Moment with our hearts filled with grace and thankfulness. What happens in the next moment will happen any way. However how we fill in the NOW moment depends on us, on our choices and responsibility of filling this heart of LOVE with new emotions and experiences.

Today, we’ll showcase a few weird facts that change our Life in Health. All science-based and eye-opening, too.

REFRESH Your Screen Frequently To See and Follow Conversations!

How To Do These AM Coffee Conversations?

• Sign In Below in the Hello Section
• Start participation by commenting under the threads and comments you are interested in
• Hit REPLY button under the posted message/comment if you want to place your commentary under someone else’s
• We will be drawing winners at the end of the #AMCoffee

Comments

1. CoffeeTime says

AM COFFEE – Sign In!

• Comment and Say ‘Hello’ to all who will be here with you
    AND
    Any Lessons you learned this Mother’s Day?

2. CoffeeTime says

t=”amcoffee” />
    Retweet, Repin, Shout-Out!

RETWEET #1
    RETWEET #2
    REpin #3
    REpin #4
    REpin #5

3. CoffeeTime says

DNA – WHAT’S SO FASCINATING ABOUT IT?
    by Elizabeth Landau, CNN

DNA is a compilation of your life and gene expression you are going to experience. Basically, you are “coded” to have that color of your eyes, hair, skin, be more athletic or even more prone to certain diseases.

Now, the scientists found a way of altering gene expression, changing the DNA “alphabet” and still get the organism that will be passing the DNA to future generations.

Why is it important?

First, it is vital with at last finding cure for many incurable at this point diseases.

Second, with this knowledge, we all may be recommended the optiomal solution of how to improve our lifestyle by doing WHAT things and actions. For example, losing weight. Anybody would love to shed those extra pounds without thinking twice if it is safe!

HOW DO YOU RELATE TO SUCH SCIENTIFIC PROGRESSES LIKE THIS ONE? IS IT IMPORTANT FOR US, HUMANS, TO KEEP LOOKING IN OUR DNA FOR ANSWERS TO MANY LIFE-ENHANSING MEASURES?

• Where it’s life-saving I believe it’s necessary. Where it’s life-enhancing I think it’s scary. they are going to the core makeup of our body and messing around…. I think looking at the DNA is fine. but altering it? yikes, that scares me!

• Janice Dean says

I haven’t had a chance for any DNA testing, but I would be open to it!

• kelly Hubbard says

I love know DNA I have never had ti done but knowing I was predispposed to certain things..

• Karen Hinkle says

that would be cool to do a DNA testing I think it would be interesting to do and find out all about your self

• Karen Hinkle says

Dna testing that sounds cool it would be interesting to find out about your DNA I would like to do that

• My mom just had a dna test done to see if she was predisposed to getting breast and uterine/ ovarian cancer. We have a lot of cancer in our family. Thankfully it all came back negative.

• Mandi Gilliam says

Oh thank goodness!!!! Cancer runs really high on both sides. A lot of the women in the family, not me but they have decided to have their breasts removed to prevent breast cancer. That’s how bad it runs in my family!

• Mandi Gilliam says

I would love to do this DNA testing on not only my self but my children!

• thia Beniash says

I had the braca testing done. It tells whether you have a cancerous gene for breast or ovarian!

• Wendi Watson says

i just have an issue with a lot of this stuff, God gave us what we have and we should be thankful! i just think a lot of the things they are making and people are taking are adding to certain things that go wrong in their bodies….im not a fan

• Rebecca Swenor says

I believe it is a good thing but the testing is what I am up in the air about. I would to much Sci-Fi as a kid. Without testing we would know if it works or not. 🙂

• A lot Space -aged for me. But, I guess progress have to be made. Still scary though.

• I’ve never had DNA testing, or needed it, tech world is really moving fast!

4. CoffeeTime says

amcoffee
    We hear so frequently of different epidemics and recalls of foods like meat, eggs, vegetables. Why some things and diseases missed during the inspection? Many reasons for that.

Now, test-tube meat could be the future of food. What you ask?
    by Brandon Griggs, CNN

The premise: Meat could be grown in the lab from the animal tissues. The first tests have been run and were successful!

WHY’s behind the process:
    – Growing global demand for food and goods
    – Tight Controls over food and goods production to avoid diseases and epidemics from spreading
    – Applying humane conditions to using animal sources for food and goods.

The products will be classified as “cultured meat” or “cultured leather goods.” Funny at this point, as all this still new to us. But wait a few years, and it’ll be taking the world over, once all the processes are streamlined.

What do you think about this all? Agreeable with you at this stage?

5. CoffeeTime says

amcoffee

Symptoms of Multiple Sclerosis You Must Not Ignore
    by David Derrer, MD

Here’s what we need to know about this cruel disease so we could take appropriate actions ASAP:

“MS is a chronic disease that damages the nerves in the spinal cord and brain, as well as the optic nerves. Sclerosis means scarring, and people with MS develop multiple areas of scar tissue in response to the nerve damage. Depending on where the damage occurs, symptoms may include problems with muscle control, balance, vision, or speech.”

MS Symptoms: Weakness or Numbness
    “Nerve damage can cause:

– Weakness in an arm or leg
    – Numbness
    – Loss of balance
    – Muscle spasms

These symptoms may lead to frequent tripping or difficulty walking.”

MS Symptoms: Vision Problems

“More than half of people with MS experience a vision problem called optic neuritis. This inflammation of the optic nerve may cause blurred vision, loss of color vision, eye pain, or blindness, usually in one eye. The problem is usually temporary and tends to improve within a few weeks. In many cases, vision problems are the first sign of MS.”

MS Symptoms: Speech Problems

“Although less common than vision problems, some people with MS develop slurred speech. This happens when MS damages the nerves that carry speech signals from the brain. Some people also have trouble swallowing.”

Other MS Symptoms

“MS can take a toll on mental sharpness. Some people may find it takes longer to solve problems. Others may have mild memory loss or trouble concentrating. Most people with MS also experience some loss of bladder control, because signals between the brain and bladder are interrupted. Finally, fatigue is a common problem. You may feel tired even after a good night’s sleep.”

DO NOT BE SCARED. BE PREPARED WITH KNOWLEDGE AND URGENCY TO ACT WHEN FIRST SYMPTOMS ARE UPON US.

• Good to know! it’s important to know the vital signs of any disease so we can get it checked out – even if it’s nothing, better safe than sorry!

• Janice Dean says

My mother had MS and was in a wheelchair when I was 3 years old. She passed when I was 16. It is a terrible disease, but I have seen advancements in treatment over 50 years.

• Mandi Gilliam says

Awe Janice! I couldn’t imagine. My uncle had Muscular Distrophy and passed away at the age of 30 but spent his life in a wheel chair and wasn’t able to care for himself. I am so sorry for your loss! Hugs!

• kelly Hubbard says

Knowing a few people with it scares me.. A classmate from grade school has it.. my brother n law has it.. scares me…I want to get tested

• Karen Hinkle says

wow the things that are in our lives are so much different from years ago it is real scary to know that this is happing great information

• Good know..yes better safe then sorry

• Mandi Gilliam says

I have often wondered if MS is in fact what is wrong with me. I have all of the above symptoms and due to multiple brain surgeries where the indication was done at the back of my head at the base of my neck, I can totally see how this may be my biggest issue other than the large cyst that I have. It’s definitely something that I have been too afraid to discuss with my doctors.

• thia Beniash says

A friend has ms. Scary how debilitating and how fast it can happen.

• My mother in laws bestfriend has it

• When I was preggers with my twins they told me I was a carrier of SMA I had been two other kids was was never told..it was a suprize. They said if my huband was a carrier too that there was a 1 in four chance that one of our would have it. It would have cost several hundred dollars for my husband to be tested. We opted not to have him tested because there was nothing that could be done even if he was a carrier..so it would just be a waste if money to us..they wouldn’t know till the babies were born anyways. And we had two healthy take home twins

• Wendi Watson says

those are great facts to know sometimes we just let little things go on in our bodies thinking it is normal!

• Rebecca Swenor says

I know how that bladder thing goes when I have a Fibromyalgia flare-up. It can be real downer for self -esteem if you let it: 🙂 Keep fight and never give up on yourself.

• Wow, Knowledge is the key. The sad thing is people without insurance cannot go to doctor when systems occur.

• Very good info here, great to know some of the warning signs Thanks

6. CoffeeTime says

amcoffee
    ENTENMANNS DONUTS RED VELVET

Basing your daily diet on sweets and candy would never be a WIN-WIN for anybody.
    However to allow ourselves to indulge into something sweet and different like Entenmann’s donuts – why not?

Denying yourself on the regular basis builds unhealthy psychological relationships with food.

June 6, 2014 is a National Donut Day. Entenmann’s has created a new flavor of a donut RED VELVET to add to their donut collection.

We are giving away an awesome prize today to indulge with your coffee and share with your family and friends.

Here’s the prize:
    • $35 in Entenmann’s FREE Product Coupons
    • Entenmann’s Reusable Drawstring Bag
    • Recipe Cards

WHAT TO DO TO GET INDULGED?

GO HERE AND COMMENT ON THAT POST HOW YOU’LL CELEBRATE THE NATIONAL DONUT DAY OR THE DAY WHEN YOU RECEIVE THE PRIZE.

WILL DRAW WINNER RIGHT AFTER OUR #AMCOFFEE.

7. CoffeeTime says

Winner of Today’s Prize:

– Constance Ralph

• Come back at the end of the coffee hour 11:30am ET and see if you won.
    • Please mention your prize on the form!
    If you’re a Winner, PLEASE FILL OUT THE WINNER’S FORM

amcoffee prize winners

8. good luck to all!

9. Mandi Gilliam says

Good luck everyone!!! Enjoy today with some donuts!!!! In the words of Homer Simpson… Mmmmm….. Doooonutsss….. DOH! Lol

10. Mandi Gilliam says

Thank you again laura for all the new information!!! The world is changing, let’s hope it’s for the better 🙂